Tuesday 3 February 2015

The great creation debate

I have just been listening to a phone in show about the commons vote later to decide whether to allow the creation of babies using DNA from three people. A lot of the people calling in or emailing seemed to have bypassed the issue at hand and were calling on a ban for IVF altogether. Arguments for this seemed to be centred on 'natural selection' or that there are too many unwanted children in this world, people who can't have babies should adopt rather than trying to create their own.
  I have to admit that this was partly my opinion before I became unable to have children myself. I am not in the least bit religious but thought that infertility happened 'for a reason' and that you shouldn't mess around with what nature intended. Even when my own infertility started to become an issue, I still thought I would adopt rather that go through such an unnatural process.
  Of course this opinion changed and when I look at my beautiful daughter who was conceived not on a romantic break but in a lab, it is hard to see anything but an amazing child, with how she was created being completely irrelevant. Of course we will tell her one day when she is old enough to understand and I hope that it makes her feel very special that she was wanted to much rather than strange in any way. 
  Which brings me to my conclusion that really it is all about personal choice and that if things are possible such as ensuring that children are not born with incurable diseases then surely this should be made available and it should be up to individuals to make that choice. I for one am over the moon that the issue has moved on so far that IVF is almost without stigma.  

No comments:

Post a Comment